Monday, January 14, 2008

The Green Family

A private residence (corner Short & Cherry) near de Immigrant dates from the Civil War. It was owned by the Green family, prominent Fulton merchants, with stores at 1100 & 1102 4th Street.

Fulton Journal: September 25, 1917.

Historical Residence Centrally Located Greatly improved—Now of Bungalow Type

The Green homestead residence on the corner of Second street and Tenth avenue, now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Than Green and Mrs. Cornelia Green, is one of the historical homes of Fulton. Built of brick, it was constructed over a half a century ago and is among the attractive home-like residences of our city. Here the late Richard Green, a pioneer merchant of Fulton, resided until his death about twenty years ago. He was a good business man of genial qualities and strict integrity and founded the mercantile firm of R. Green & Sons, the only one wherein there is still an active member that was doing business in Fulton when the editor of the Journal came here to enter upon newspaper work thirty-six years ago this month. We refer to W.C. Green. It is a remarkable truth that the entire business of a town like Fulton passes from old hands into new in from thirty to thirty-five years,.
From a copy of a city directory of Fulton published in 1857 that contained the names of about 500 men who were residents of Fulton, but one is still living in the old town, namely, Harvey Mitchell. The others have all moved away or passed to that bourn from which no traveler ever returns.
The Green homestead has been greatly improved on the exterior by a new heavy cornice and two new rustic porches which give it an attractive bungalow appearance. The walls are to have a coat of kellastone which will add to its charming exterior.

Four months later, Cornelia Geen was dead.

Fulton Journal, December 25, 1917.

Resident of Fulton and Vicinity for over Seventy-Nine Years

Mrs. Cornelia P. Green, widow of Richard Green a pioneer merchant of Fulton, who established the mercantile firm of R. Green & Sons, over a half century ago, and a continuous resident of Fulton for sixty-four years, died suddenly at about eight o’clock Sunday morning, December 23.
Mrs. Green was over eighty-one years old and one of very few of the early settlers of western Whiteside county that came here in 1838.
She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Johnson, one of a family of twelve children, of whom but two survive, Mrs. Anna M. Reed of Kentwood, La., and Caleb C. Johnson of Sterling.
Mrs. Green, although eighty-two years old, yet she was at the store of R. Green & Sons Friday and Saturday, interested in the display of holiday goods, and although her health had been poor for some time owing to weak heart action, she was thought to be improving. Sunday morning she arose at an early hour to give some instructions about breakfast, as her grandson and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Dwight P. Green of Chicago, were at the home as guests for the Christmas holidays, and returned to her room about 7:30, and when a member of the family went to call her for breakfast, she had passed from this life and was lying in her bed as if she were sleeping. It was the peaceful close of a busy, useful life of a good and kind-hearted woman, beloved by all who knew her.
She is survived by her son, Nathaniel Green, with whom she had made her home since the death of Richard Green over twenty years ago; a daughter, Mrs. L.P. Raley, whose home is in La Crosse, Wis.; also a step-son, William C. Green, senior member now of the firm of R. Green & Sons.
The funeral will be held at the old home on the corner of Second street and Tenth avenue Wednesday at ten o’clock, and the services will be conducted by Rev. K.J. McAulay, pastor of the Presbyterian church.

Fulton Journal: December 28, 1917

Funeral of Mrs. Green

The funeral of Mrs. Cornelia P. Green, who died suddenly Sunday morning at the home of her son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Green, was held Wednesday forenoon at ten o’clock at the house. In respect to the memory of Mrs. Green, who had passed nearly all of her life in this city, all of the business houses were closed during the hour of services which was from ten to eleven o’clock.
The services, which were conducted by Rev. K.J. McAulay, included a tribute to the noble life and fine character of the deceased and in which he spoke words of consolation and comfort to the bereaved ones. During the services Miss Harriet C. Bell beautifully sang two hymns, “Asleep in Jesus’ and “Abide with Me.” The floral offerings were beautiful and most numerous.
The attendance at the services was large.
Those from a distance who were present at the funeral were Mr.and Mrs. L. P. Raley of La Crosse, Wis., C. C. Johnson and son Jesse and son of Sterling, Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Green of Laramie, Wyo., and Mrs. and Mrs. W.G. Bierd of Chicago.
Those who attended the casket and escorted it to the Fulton cemetery where the body was laid to rest were Fred K. Bastian, A.C. Williamson, J.C. Snyder, G. B. Robinson, Jenkins McCullagh and Peter Lorenzen.

Fulton Journal: December 19, 1922

Stricken Down Near His House Saturday Afternoon and
Passed Away a Few Minutes Later

Nathaniel Green, a life-long resident of Fulton and for nearly fifty years an active and influential business man, died suddenly at his home on Second street and Tenth avenue Saturday afternoon at about two o’clock. He had gone out into the yard and shortly after was found lying on the ground, still breathing, by his wife, who called for assistance and Peter Brondyke and Ed Jaarsma came from the jitney station and carried him into the house where he expired a few minutes later.
An inquest was held by Coroner Frye of Sterling Monday afternoon, with the following citizens as jurors: A.S. Chapman, foreman; David Shipma, W.M. Slaymaker, Matt Hansen, Ed Temple, and Claus Bruins.
The verdict was that death was caused by acute myrocarditis, or heart disease.
Nathaniel Green was born in Fulton August 14, 1855, hence was in the sixty-eighth year of his age. He married Miss Elizabeth Baker, daughter of the late John W. Baker, one of the first settlers in Fulton. Mrs. Green and son, Dwight P. Green of Winnetka, are the surviving members of the family. Over forty years ago Mr. Green became a partner in the pioneer mercantile firm of R Green & Sons, with his father, the late Richard Green and his half-brother, W.C. Green. The store is known all over the western part of Whiteside county, and has been a successful business enterprise during its long history.
The sudden death of Nathaniel Green removes one of the best known business men of this city and in his long mercantile career he had won respect for his high character and integrity as a citizen. He was esteemed for his genial personality and kind impulses, and hundreds of people to this section will learn of his death with deep sorrow. A devoted husband, a kind father, a generous and noble-minded friend, a public-spirited and conscientious citizen has been called from a life of usefulness, and his death not only causes profound sorrow to relatives and friends, but it is also a great loss to the community, and he will be sadly missed and his death sincerely mourned.
The funeral was held at the Presbyterian church Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. E.P. Westphal, pastor of the church, conducting the services, which were largely attended. All the stores and offices in the city were closed this afternoon during the hours of the funeral, and all the business and professional men attended as honorary pall-bearers. The interment was in the family lot in the Fulton cemetery.

Was Held Tuesday Afternoon—Services in Presbyterian Church—Burial in Fulton Cemetery

The obsequies attending the burial of Nathaniel Green were held Tuesday afternoon. The attendance included many relatives and friends and a large number of the business men of this city and other citizens and the floral offerings were numerous and remarkably beautiful
The funeral cortege formed at the house at 2:15 and proceeded to the Presbyterian church, where the services at 2:30 were conducted by Rev. E.P. Westphal. During the services, Miss Harriet C. Bell and Mrs. John K. Lorenzen sang two beautiful selections: “I Know My Heavenly Father Knows” and “One Sweetly Solemn Thought.”
A large number of Fulton’s business and professional men were honorary pall-bearers. The active pall-bearers were J.E. Temple, John Voss, Ralph Wilkens, George J. Strating, M.F. Bielema, William Dornbush, W.T. Huizenga, and Walter Machamer, all of whom had been clerks under Mr. Green.
The funeral cortege then proceeded to the cemetery where all that was mortal of a good man was consigned to the last resting place.

Fulton Journal: October 4, 1929:

Excerpt from the obituary of W.C. Green.

William Clark Green was born in Bono, Lawrence County, Ind., September 8, 1843, the son of Richard and Martha Mason Green. When he was a year old his mother passed away, and for about six years he was cared for by his Uncle Nathaniel and Aunt Elizabeth Green. He came to Fulton with them when he was a small boy, the family living in what is now the residence of the Misses Prochaska on Twelfth avenue. His father moved his stock of goods from his store in Bono, Ind., to Fulton in 1849, thus becoming a pioneer merchant of this place.
W.C. Green attended the Fulton public schools and the Fulton Military school, but he was ever a student, continuing his education through life, books and magazines being his friendly instructors.
For a time as a young man he was employed as a clerk in the Pitkin Pease general store, which was located on the corner where the Walter building now stands. In 1865, his father resumed the mercantile business after a few years spent in another line of work and subsequently took his sons into partnership. They conducted the business at the corner of what is now Lincoln Way and Eleventh avenue under the firm name of R. Green and Sons, a name so closely linked with the business interests of Fulton for so many years it cannot soon be forgotten. The firm name remained the same after the death of the father, and until 1923, six years ago, when after the death of Nathaniel Green, one of the sons, the store was sold and W.C. Green retired from active business pursuits after fifty-eight years of successful mercantile service.
On October 10, 1866, Mr. Green was united in marriage with Alice Amelia Roberts, daughter of Elisha and Naomi Roberts of Fulton, whose home was the building now used as Odd Fellows hall. They were privileged to live together for sixty-three happy years, during which time Mrs. Green was her husband’s loyal helpmate, interested in all that interested him. To them were born a son, Alfred E., now vice chairman of the board of the Detroit and Security Trust Company of Detroit, Mich., and a daughter, Lutie May, now Mrs. C.N. Harrison, wife of Dr. Harrison of Fulton.
Mr. Green is survived by his wife, his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. A.E. Green of Detroit, his daughter and her husband, Dr. and Mrs. C.N. Harrison of Fulton, his sister, Mrs. L.P. Raley of Fulton, and two grandsons, William M. and Richard A. Green of Detroit. His parents, a sister, Margaret, and a brother, Nathaniel, preceded him in death.
Mr. Green never joined a fraternal organization, but was a member of the old First Baptist church of Fulton. After this church ceased to exist, Mr. Green and his wife attended the Presbyterian church and for many years were identified with its activities. His greatest interest centered in his home and family, and the sorrowing members of his family have the sympathy of the community.

Fulton Journal: June 25, 1937

Excerpts from Obituary for Sarah Baker Green

Sarah Elizabeth Baker, daughter of John W. and Mary Hall Wright Baker, was born in Garden Plain Township, November 28, 1857, and passed away after a brief illness in Jane Lamb hospital, Wednesday night, June 16, 1937. She was the last surviving member of a family of ten children. Her great uncle, John Baker, was the first white settler in Fulton, coming here from Centerville, Maryland in 1835.
Her father, a nephew of John Baker, came from Centerville in December, 1836, and the following year he was joined by her mother, the first white woman to come to Fulton. After two years here they moved to Garden Plain, where they engaged in farming. The old homestead is still known as “The Baker Place”.
Elizabeth Baker, the subject of this sketch, after completing her education taught school for a time and then coming to Fulton she, with a relative, engaged in the dressmaking business.
On May 24, 1884, she was married to Nathaniel Green, a young business man in Fulton, the ceremony taking place in the Garden Plain home. They took up their residence in Fulton, their home for the remainder of their lives. One son, Dwight Phelps Green, was born to them. The happy family circle was broken on December 16, 1922, when the husband and father was suddenly taken by death. Bravely and undauntedly Mrs. Green carried on upheld by her Christian faith and encouraged by her son, then an attorney in Chicago.
Mrs. Green is survived by her devoted son, Dwight, of Winnetka, whose home comings were her greatest joy. He was with her at the hospital during the few days of her illness and his presence gave her comfort.
Also surviving is her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Dwight Green, who is convalescing from a serious illness and so was unable to attend the funeral. She also is mourned by a grandson, Dwight P. Green, Jr., who this week was graduated from Princeton University; a niece, Mrs. Lutie Green Harrison of Fulton; a nephew, Albert E. Green of Detroit, Mich.; a niece, Mrs. Percy Robinson of Denver, Colo. several cousins and a legion of friends.