Jan 20, 1939
Charles G. Utz, a retired businessman, passed away at his home on Lincolnway at 12:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon after a lingering illness of four years duration. Since November 1st, his condition had been serious and he required attention both night and day, which was faithfully given by his wife.
Funeral services were held at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon in Fay's chapel, with the Rev. Jones Earl Corwin, pastor of the Presbyterian church, officiating.
During the service, Mr. and Mrs. Mino Flikkema sang "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and "Nearer My God to Thee."
Pallbearers were W.J. Considine, James McCullagh, W.H. Tremayne, W.H. Mitchell, Earl Rush, David Schwab, and Charles Johnson. Interment was in the Fulton cemetery.
Charles Gottlieb Utz was born in Chicago, October 1, 1856, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gottlieb Utz. When four years of age his family moved to Dixon and two years later,1862, located in Fulton.
He was educated in the Fulton schools and upon the completion of his studies he worked for his father, learning the butcher trade. In 1896, he opened a meat market of his own, but a year later he and his wife went to Davenport. They resided there and in Chicago for five years and upon their return here he went into business with his father.
The elder Mr. Utz retired from business in 1905, turning his shop over to his two sons, Charles and Fred, and for eight years they were in partnership. The former bought his brother's share in 1913 and managed it until his retirement four years ago. He spent his remaining years in a well earned vacation.
Mr. Utz was a first class butcher, having learned the trade thoroughly under the tutelage of his father. When he retired, it was the first time in over seventy years that a meat market was not managed or owned by a member of the Utz family.
Throughout his residence here he maintained the respect of his fellowmen and was held in high esteem by all.
On July 25, 1896, he was married to Rosa Palina Neff, and to this union six children were born, all of whom passed away in infancy. Mrs. Utz died on March 15, 1914, and on August 12, 1915, he married Miss Louise Thomson of Fulton, who died in 1925.
On October 4, 1932, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Julia Larson of Elwood, Ill., the ceremony taking place in the parsonage of the St. Paul's Lutheran church in Clinton.
He is survived by his wife, two brothers, Fred and William, a niece, Mrs. T.W. Jones, all of Fulton, a nephew, Curtis Utz of Kewanee, a step-son, Louis Larson, and a step-daughter, Mrs. Ellen Carlson, both of Cadillac, Michigan.
He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers, Carl and William, and two sisters, Elizabeth and Rosebud, and those mentioned above.