Sunday, March 17, 2013

John Considine

Fulton Journal
April 7, 1899

  John Considine Dies Unexpectedly at his Home Wednesday morning.

   This community was shocked and saddened Wednesday morning by the news of the sudden death of John Considine, which occurred at his home that morning.
He had been in the street the day before and went to the polls and voted.  He was apparently in his usual health.  Wednesday morning when he got up he complained of not feeling well and sat down on the edge of the bed.  Continuing to feel badly he laid down asked that the priest be sent for, but before any of the family could leave the house he died.
   The deceased was born in county Clare, Ireland, in 1825, and was, therefore, in his seventy-fourth year.  He came to this country landing in New York City, July 4, 1846, and settled in New York where he resided till 1857 when he came to Fulton.  April 16 , 1854, at Etlicottville, Cattaragus county, N.Y. he was married to Miss Hannah Flanagan.  To Mr. and Mrs. Considine eleven children were born as follows: Robert, who lives in Fulton; Will J. who resides in Monroe, Wis, John J. who was drowned off the steamboat John A. Wood near Island No. 10 near Memphis, Feb. 14, 1883; Frank, whose home is in this city; May, who became the wife of J.J. Martin and died May 6, 1892; E.H. of Rock Island, Daniel, of Prophetstown, Dennis of Chicago; Julia, who married E.J. Lee and is now at home, S.A. and Maggie, who are also at home.  Beside his wife and children he leaves one brother, Patrick,who lives in Chicago and two sisters, May, now Mrs. Daley and lives in New Jersey, and Mrs. Margaret Gorman, who lives in Brooklyn.
    For twenty-seven years Mr. Considine had resided in the stone house on the bank of the Mississippi, which is probably the oldest built residence left intact in Fulton and during that time he won a high place in the regard of his neighbors and friends.  He was quiet, energetic, yet unassuming in manner, but was of generous impulses, and ever proved a kind husband and father, a pleasant neighbor and an honest industrious and conscientious citizen.  He had served the city as street commissioner for three terms and was always found fatithful to this trust.
      The funeral was held this forenoon at 10 o'clock, solemn high mass in the Catholic church, and burial in the Catholic cemetery.