July 24, 1908
THEY GATHER AT THE RIVER
Hoboes Camp Close to Town and Keep "Open House" for "Wandering Willies."
On the river bank just north of the foot of Genesee street, is a clump of ash trees whose foliage is so dense that it offers a splendid shade and provides an inviting rendevous for the "Weary Willies." A visit to this place at any time, one may find from one to a dozen of these migratory individuals resting beneath the trees.
The top of an old gasoline stove placed upon a few rocks so arranged that a fire may be built under it, serves as a stove on which they do their cooking which is usually done in tin cans. Their food consists chiefly of potatoes a little meat, onions, and other vegetables, bread and coffee.
You will always find the boys reading newspapers which they beg from printing offices and thereby keep posted on nearly all topics of interest as well as the views of the different political parties.
The place is what is known in the vernacular as "Hobo Camp." Among the bunch which form the occupants of the place, a few have money which they contribute to buy provisions, otherwise they sally out about the breakfast hour on a foraging expedition and make a house to house canvas for something to eat. At night, the hoboes break camp and seek shelter in some box car or unused building. The boys take advantage of the opportunities offered by the river and wash a few of their garments and are said at times even to take a bath.